Choking is an involuntary reaction to digestive overload.
Something’s gone wrong.
Two ways to choke
You can choke because you’ve been given something to swallow but it’s come in lumps you can’t manage.
You can also choke because something you’ve tried to swallow leaves a taste in your mouth that is absolutely HORRIBLE to your particular set of taste buds …because one man’s meat can be another man’s poison.
‘Choking’ on ‘Church’
“Churches are often guilty of telling people the diagnosis in words they can’t understand, making them feel like the treatment is uncommon.
One of the tenets of the Protestant Reformation was a change from Latin, a dead language, to the language of the people.
Slowly over the years, antiquated terms have crept back into the vocabulary of churches, so the people that need most to understand about Jesus can’t.”
Paul A Clifford
Just two ways to live
The danger is that we choke people ‘spiritually’ by talking a foreign language (lumps you can’t digest) or putting things clearly to people who find what we’re saying is utterly not to their taste.
So plainly and clearly (and at the risk of ‘offending’) what is it Christianity’s saying?
You can sum the whole thing up like this:
- God made the world and everything in it so it all works beautifully when we accept God’s authority & live under it.
- People don’t like the sound of that and reject it (choke hazard!)
- The penalty for treason is serious … God isn’t going to be standing for treason that destroys the peace of the world He has made (So far this is thoroughly bad news – here’s where it gets VERY much better … don’t stop now!)
- Seeing the mess this put us in, God sent His own Son Who lived a perfect human life which meant He didn’t have sin to be penalized for, and could therefore died to pay the price of other people’s rebellion against God
- God raised Him from death to life to SHOW that the penalty was fully paid
- That leaves everyone with two ways to live … either to continue in rebellion against God or to turn FROM that to follow this Jesus getting back in the right with this God.
- So which way do YOU want to live?
What you make of this will be very important.
After all there’s no point gaining the whole world and losing your own soul … but investing your life wisely reaps huge benefits.
Find out more
We have supportive, helpful and informal midweek farmhouse meetings all over the Heart of Wales, where you can get amongst country people who are working out what it means to be living and farming God’s way. There’s tea and there’s cake, but no nonsense.
Or you can find Grace Rural Wales Partnership on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter (@WelshRev), and follow the movements of the Landrover using #DefenderofTheFaith #DotF
If this stuff – or anything else – is making you choke, please feel free to get in touch and we’ll be happy to listen and chat. How can we help?